Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Exploration 6 - Online Office Tools

This is my first time using Zoho. It's pretty neat! I used the Zoho Writer and posted my document to my blog. (Very easy! But I did learn that the blog entries are posted in the order they are started, and not the order they are published, which is why the document appears above and not below.) I also played a little bit with Zoho Sheet and Zoho Show.

One disadvantage that I can see is that although they have a lot of features, some are not there. So for the advanced user or someone who creates elaborate documents, this may not work. I noticed that the undo button sometimes takes a few tries...a quirk or a feature? Personally, the disadvantage is that I use too many Ctrl key functions automatically, and they don't do the same in Zoho as they do in MS Word, as I found out. Oops!

However, I think the advantages outweigh the disadvantages. It feels pretty intuitive and looks like it is pretty easy to use, particularly if you are familiar with Microsoft products. The portability is nice, since you can access your files anywhere that you have internet access. And the sharing features sound useful and could be helpful for committee work. It would certainly reduce bandwidth use of sending documents via e-mail. Love the tagging in Zoho Writer, rather than folders. I guess this would also be a step toward pushing things into the cloud. The welcome document really shows that they are working toward what users want, which is always comforting.

I can definitely think of some patrons who could use Zoho. It would give them access to documents from any computer and they wouldn't leave their disk/USB drive behind to be stolen! I thought a downside would be no templates for resumes, but they have them, too! This could also be an alternative for patrons looking for Excel or PowerPoint. And it provides a means of posting fancier things on a blog.

Definitely a tool to keep in mind!

No comments: